Prior to joining Arizona State University, Ross Maciejewski served as a visiting faculty member at Purdue as a member of the Department of Homeland Security’s Center of Excellence focusing on visual analytics (VACCINE). His work at Purdue’s VACCINE Center was honored by the United States Coast Guard with a Meritorious Team Commendation as part of his work on the Port Resilience for Operational Tactical Enforcement to Combat Terrorism (PROTECT) Team. Dr. Maciejewski’s recent work has actively explored the extraction and linking of disparate data sources exploring combinations of structured geographic data to unstructured social media data to enhance situational awareness. His primary research interests are in the areas of geographical visualization and visual analytics focusing on public health, dietary analysis, social media, and criminal incident reports. He has served on the organizing committee for the IEEE Conference on Visual Analytics Science and Technology (2012-2013, 2015) and the IEEE/VGTC EuroVis Conference (2014-2016) and has been involved in award winning submissions to the IEEE Visual Analytics Contest (2010, 2013 and 2015). He is a Fellow of the Global Security Initiative at ASU and the recipient of an NSF CAREER Award (2014). For more information on his current work visit vader.lab.asu.edu.
Ph.D., Computer Engineering, Purdue University, 2009
M.S., Electrical and Computer Engineering, Purdue University, 2004
B.S. cum laude, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, The University of Missouri, 2001
Information visualization, geographical visualization, computer graphics, syndromic surveillance, volume rendering, non-photorealistic rendering, decision support systems
Honors and Awards
- VAST 2013 Mini Challenge 1 Award: Excellent Visual Analysis of Structured and Unstructured Data, IEEE Conference on Visual Analytics Science and Technology, October 2013 for “Box Office VAST – Team VADER,” (Lu, Y., Wang, F., Maciejewski, R.)
- Coast Guard Meritorious Team Commendation (PROTECT), Ross Maciejewski served as a member of the United States Coast Guard Port Resilience for Operational Tactical Enforcement to Combat Terrorism (PROTECT) Team while at Purdue University’s Department of Homeland Security Center of Excellence (VACCINE), May 2013.
- VAST 2010 Challenge Award: Support for Future Detection, IEEE Conference on Visual Analytics Science and Technology, October 2010 for “VACCINATED,” (Malik, A., Afzal, S., Hodgess, E., Ebert, D., Maciejewski, R.).
- State-of-the-art Report Co-Chair for the VGTC/IEEE EuroVis Conference (2014)
- Posters Co-Chair for the IEEE Conference on Visual Analytics Science and Technology (2012-2013)