Erin Walker is an Assistant Professor in the School of Computing, Informatics, and Decision Systems Engineering at Arizona State University. Her research uses interdisciplinary methods to improve the design and implementation of educational technology, and then to understand when and why it is effective. She is currently working on various projects that attempt to incorporate social and contextual adaptation into learning technologies, including implementing a teachable robot for mathematics learning and reimagining the design of the digital textbook. Prior to January 2013, Walker was a Computing Innovations Postdoctoral Fellow at Arizona State University. She completed her PhD in 2010 at Carnegie Mellon University in Human-Computer Interaction. Her undergraduate degree is a B.Sc. (Honors) from the University of Manitoba, awarded in 2004 in both Computer Science and Psychology. Walker’s work has resulted in nine journal articles and twenty peer-reviewed full conference papers, and has included a best young researcher’s track paper award at AIED, a best paper nomination at ITS, and a best technology design nomination at CSCL.
Ph.D., Human-Computer Interaction at Carnegie Mellon University, 2010
M.A., Human-Computer Interaction at Carnegie Mellon University, 2008
B.Sc. (Honors), Computer Science & Psychology at University of Manitoba, 2004
Intelligent tutoring systems, computer-supported collaborative learning, online learning communities, tangible embodied environments, human-computer interaction
Honors and Awards
- Ira A Fulton Top 5% Teaching Award. Arizona State University. 2015.
- CRA/NSF Computing Innovation Postdoctoral Fellowship. 2011-2012.
- Nominated for Best Technology Design Award. Internation Conference on Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning. 2011.
- Nominated for Best Paper. International Conference on Intelligent Tutoring Systems. 2008.
- Best Young Researcher Paper. International Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Education. 2005.
- Executive committee member. International Society of Artificial Intelligence in Education. 2013-present.
- Doctoral Consortium Co-Chair. International Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Education. 2016.
- Workshops & Tutorials Co-Chair. International Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Education. 2013.