Professor Sethuraman (Panch) Panchanathan is currently the Executive Vice President and Chief Research and Innovation Officer of Knowledge Enterprise Development. In this role he is responsible for advancing research, innovation, entrepreneurship and economic development at ASU. He is a Foundation Chair in Computing and Informatics and the Director of the Center for Cognitive Ubiquitous Computing (CUbiC). Dr. Panchanathan was the Founding Director of the School of Computing and Informatics and was instrumental in founding the Biomedical Informatics Department at ASU. He was also the Chair of the Computer Science and Engineering Department. Panch’s research interests are in the areas of Human-centered Multimedia Computing, Ubiquitous Computing Environments for enhancing the quality of life for individuals with Disabilities, and Haptic User Interfaces. CUbiC’s flagship project iCARE for individuals who are blind and visually impaired won the Governor’s Innovator of the Year-Academia Award. He has published over 400 papers in refereed journals and conferences and has mentored over 100 graduate students, post-docs, research engineers and research scientists who occupy leading positions in academia and industry. He has been a Chair, invited speaker, panel member, organizer of special sessions, and a program committee member of many conferences. Panch is a Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), Society of Optical Engineering (SPIE) and a member of the Canadian Academy of Engineering.
Ph.D., Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Ottawa, Canada 1989
M.Tech., Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, India, 1986
B.E., Electronics and Communication Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, 1984
B.Sc., Physics, University of Madras, Madras, India, 1981
Human-centered Multimedia Computing, Ubiquitous Computing Environments for enhancing qualify of life for individuals with Disabilities, and Haptic User Interfaces.
Honors and awards
- Fellow of IEEE
- Fellow of SPIE
- Member of Canadian Academy of Engineering
- Governor’s Innovator of the Year in Academia Award (2004)
- Microsoft Imagine Cup Awards (2010, 2011)
- Editor-in-chief, IEEE Multimedia
- Associate Editor, of 12 (past and present) Journals and Transactions.
- Member, US-India Business Council (USIBC) [President Obama’s Executive Mission to India].
- Member, Arizona Governor Napolitano’s Strategic Mission to Canada.
- Executive Committee Member, Council on Research Policy & Graduate Education, Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU).
- Member, Governor of Arizona e–Health Steering Committee