Skip to Content
Report an accessibility problem
Engineering  |  School of Computing, Informatics, and Decision Systems Engineering

Advising FAQ

Advising basics


Academic advising

I have just been admitted as a first time freshman to engineering, what are my next steps?
  1. Activate your account and email at ASU
  2. Send Transcripts to:

Undergraduate Admissions
Arizona State University
PO Box 870112
Tempe, AZ 85287-0112

  1. Financial Aid – put ASU as recipient
  2. Submit Immunizations (
  3. Orientation, where you will register for classes ( )
  4. ALEKS Online Placement Exam (
  5. Apply for scholarships, if needed (
  6. Apply for Housing (
  7. Make Commuting Plan (
  8. Explore Summer Options such as summer school
  9. Register for E2 Camp (
  10. Attend Welcoming Ceremonies (TBD) You will receive email messaging about this.
I have just been admitted as a transfer student, readmitted student, or second bachelor's student, what are my next steps?
  1. Activate your account at ASU and email
  2. Send Transcripts to:

Undergraduate Admissions
Arizona State University
PO Box 870112
Tempe, AZ 85287-0112

  1. Financial Aid – put ASU as recipient
  2. Apply for scholarships, if needed (
  3. Submit Immunizations (
  4. ALEKS Online Placement Exam ( Exam only required for students who have not taken math classes in their transfer coursework.
  5. Make appointment with an advisor by calling 480-965-3199 or by going here. Bring unofficial transcripts to your appointment so the advisor has a complete picture of your academic history.  Advisor will recommend classes and may begin a transfer evaluation of coursework if needed.
  6. Register for classes
  7. Apply for Housing (
  8. Make Commuting Plan (
  9. Attend transfer student orientation (optional) (TBD)
  10. Explore Summer Options such as summer school
  11. Attend Welcoming Ceremonies (TBD)
Do I have an assigned advisor?

Yes. Students are assigned an undergraduate advisor concluding their first meeting with their academic advisor. New freshmen are assigned an undergraduate advisor at Orientation. The name of your academic advisor is listed on your My ASU page.  Although students are assigned advisors they are welcome to meet with any member of the CIDSE Undergraduate Advising Team.

Do I have to make an appointment to see my advisor?

Academic Advisors have scheduled appointment and walk-in hours, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Our office is closed for lunch from noon to 1:00 pm. The Advising Center is located in Centerpoint, Suite 105. Students are encouraged to set up an appointment with their advisors when they want to discuss their academic programs. Appointments are scheduled in half-hour blocks. When you want to view your advisor’s schedule, and/or make an appointment with your advisor go here.

How should I prepare for my appointment with my advisor?

To best prepare for your appointment review your DARS report. Our advisors are professionals who are knowledgeable about university academic policies and requirements, and prepared to assist you with your questions. Jot down your questions, and bring them with you to your appointment to ensure that you don’t forget to ask all of your questions.

Can I email my questions to my advisor or get a telephone advising appointment?

Ideally, advising works best during a face-to-face visit. However, we understand that our students are sometimes out of town, or have extenuating circumstances that prevent them from coming onto campus, and cannot wait to have their questions answered until they return. In these instances, a telephone advising appointment can be arranged. Indicate this at the time you schedule your appointment. Emails to your advisor are always encouraged for quick questions.

Academic requirements

How do I know my academic requirements?

The University General Catalog is published annually. Department, school, division, college and university requirements may change and are upgraded often. In determining graduation requirements, an undergraduate student may use only one edition of the General Catalog but may elect to follow any subsequent catalog. Your catalog eligibility is referred to as your “catalog year”. In essence, to successfully complete the requirements for your degree program, you must follow the requirements that pertain to your specific catalog year. Your DARS report can also be helpful in determining whether or not you have met your degree requirements.

How do I know my catalog year?

You can view your catalog year through your DARS. If you believe that you should be listed on an older catalog year, then you can contact your advisor for verification. Students maintaining continuous enrollment at any public Arizona community college or university may graduate according to the requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of initial enrollment or according to the requirements of any single catalog in effect during subsequent terms of continuous enrollment.

Can my catalog year change?

You always have the option to move up a catalog year. If you are out of school for three consecutive regular semesters (i.e., spring and fall), you will no longer be eligible to follow the same catalog requirements. You will be readmitted under the new catalog in effect at the time of your readmission. This means that it is very possible that new academic policies may apply to your graduation requirements. However, if you left ASU but attended any Arizona Community College, U of A, or NAU during that time, you can remain under your original catalog, thereby maintaining your academic requirements. Students who have lost their catalog year for non-attendance in Arizona should set up an appointment with their advisors to review options.

Once I know my catalog year, where can I find my degree requirements?

Students should review and save a copy of their “Major Map” or “Flow Chart”. This map outlines the specific requirements for your degree program, as determined for your catalog year. Major maps are accessible online at If you are unable to find a copy of your major map, be sure to ask your advisor for a copy during your advising appointment.

My friend has different academic requirements than I do, and we are in the same program. Why is this?

Most likely the reason is that your friend has a different catalog year than you. This is why you have to know and understand the academic requirements for your specific catalog year. This will include grade requirements in certain courses and major GPA requirements. These can differ among catalog years.

What is critical tracking?

All students will be required to complete a set of courses known as Critical Requirements which are specific to each degree program. Critical Requirements are to be taken at the beginning of the degree program until completed. This set of lower division courses was designed to serve as a predictor of academic success in their program.  Students who are either not taking critical courses or not passing critical courses for multiple consecutive semesters will be considered off track and may be asked to change their major.

First Time Freshman students will be expected to complete the Critical Requirements by the end of their third semester at ASU (full-time enrollment). Students who are unable to successfully complete these courses should meet with their academic advisor to discuss their options.

Transfer and Returning students will need to work with their academic advisor to identify any remaining Critical Requirements that must be completed. Students who are unable to successfully complete these courses should meet with their academic advisor to discuss their options.

What is a DARS report and how do I pull it?

The Degree Audit Report (DARS) is a report that matches your registered courses at ASU and completed courses—taken at ASU and transfer credits—against your major’s graduation requirements. It shows you how your completed and registered courses at ASU apply to your graduation requirements, helping you track your progress toward graduation. It can be used to see how your courses plug into a different major’s graduation requirements.

Program completion

I'm getting ready to graduate. What are my next steps?

Your first step is to meet with your academic advisor to confirm that you are on track to complete all academic requirements for your degree program. Students file for graduation during the semester in which they will be completing their final coursework. Deadlines apply, and are posted on students’ My ASU page.

I have heard that there are two different types of ceremonies for graduation, which one do I go to?

Students have the option to attend two ceremonies, Engineering Convocation and University Commencement. Students are not required to attend any ceremony; however, if you do plan on attending one or more ceremonies then you will need to make sure to RSVP. The RSVP function will be available through the graduation tab of your MyASU page after you have applied for graduation.

What is the difference between Engineering Convocation and University Commencement?

Engineering Convocation is just for engineering students. The ceremony is more personalized. During the ceremony you will have your name announced, you will walk across the stage, receive your diploma cover and have your individual photo taken. The ceremony last’s about 90 minutes. University Commencement is university wide; it includes all majors and is less personalized.

What if I do not pass all of my classes in my last semester and have already applied to graduate?

In this situation it is best to make an appointment to meet with your advisor. Generally, you will need to contact the Graduation Office and withdraw your application to graduate and then get reactivated for the following semester. Once you register for your remaining courses you will need to reapply for graduation. You will not be required to repay the application fee.

Beyond the bachelor’s

Internships and job opportunities

How do I gain work experience in my field prior to graduation?

The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering has a dedicated Engineering Career Center for students. The Engineering Career Center connects employers with engineering students for full-time job opportunities and internships. They serve as a central point of contact to connect employers with the various career and internship programs situated among our academic units. They provide comprehensive career coaching services for undergraduate and graduate students, and alumni from the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering. In addition, they offer an engineering Career Fair every fall and spring semester. This event is available for engineering students and alumni. For more information about the Engineering Career Center and events, log onto:

Are there any opportunities to receive academic credit for internships?

Yes, only for computer science and computer systems engineering students. Computer science and systems students are eligible to receive CSE 484 credit to use either as a technical elective or as a 400 level elective.

  • Major Internship Program: Eligible computer science and computer systems students are able to secure internships on their own. Please click on the Major Internship Program link for complete guidelines on the program.  You can contact Dr. Xuerong (Sherry) Feng with any questions at

Master’s degree accelerated program

I would like to pursue a Master's Degree. Is there an opportunity for me to transition from the Undergraduate Program directly into the Graduate Program?

The School of Computing, Informatics, and Decision Systems Engineering offers a program called “4+1” for their computer science, computer systems engineering and industrial engineering students. 4+1 provides our top undergraduate students the flexibility to begin taking classes toward their master’s degree during their senior year of undergraduate studies. It also allows students to share six credit hours between their bachelor’s and master’s degrees.

To learn more about 4+1 in computer science log onto:
To learn more about 4+1 in computer systems engineering log onto:
To learn more about 4+1 in industrial engineering log onto:

ASU need to know

Policies and standards

What is the renewal criteria for my ASU Merit based scholarship?

University merit based scholarships require 30 semester hours (between fall and spring) with a 3.0 ASU cumulative GPA by the end of the spring semester.  All 30 hours must be taken at ASU.  Students are funded for up to 8 semesters.  More information on renewal criteria can be found at Answers to frequently asked questions regarding scholarships can be found at . Also new information regarding the Scholarship Maintenance Plan can be found at 

I had to repeat a course because I earned a 'D' or 'E' grade. Will my first grade be replaced?

The University rules on grade replacement vary, depending upon when you were admitted to ASU. They are as follows:

Students Admitted Prior to Fall 2008:

100 and 200 Level Courses

For 100 and 200 level course repetition, the student’s academic record will reflect:

  • Both grades received in the course on the student’s transcript.
  • Only the highest grade received in the course in the student’s grade point average.

300 and 400 Level Courses

For 300 and 400 level course repetition, the student’s academic record will reflect:

  • Both grades received in the course on the transcript.
  • Both grades received in the course in the student’s grade point average.

Students Newly Admitted Fall 2008 and After:

Students are permitted to repeat up to 12 hours and the following will apply:

For 100, 200, 300 and 400 level course repetition the student’s academic record will reflect:

  • Both grades received in the course on the student’s transcript.
  • Only the highest grade received in the course in the student’s cumulative grade point average.

All courses taken repeated beyond the 12 hour limit the following will apply:

For 100, 200, 300 and 400 level course repetition the student’s academic record will reflect:

  • Both grades received in the course on the student’s transcript.
  • The average course grade be included in the student’s cumulative grade point average.
I tried to enroll in the same course for the 3rd time, and the registration system wouldn't let me. What should I do?

An undergraduate course taken at ASU in which a grade of ‘D’ or ‘E’ has been received twice may be repeated again only after both the following criteria have been met:

  1. The student will need to submit a petition to take a course for the third time to the standards committee of the college in which the student is enrolled; and
  2. The petition has been approved by the college standards committee, or the University Standards Committee, if denied by the college.\To learn more about this policy, link to:
Are exceptions ever made to academic policies?

When students want an exception to an academic policy, they should set up an appointment to explore options with their advisors. In some instances, an approved petition by the college standards committee or the University Standards Committee (if denied by the college) will allow an exception for a student. Your advisor will explain the petition process to you.

Important dates

Will I be notified about important dates such as the deadline for withdrawing from a course(s), university closings, availability of next-semester’s schedule, etc.?

The University has an academic calendar that includes important dates that students should know about to help them with decision making and planning. This calendar is available online through your MyASU page or at

Can I just print a copy of the calendar, and save it in my notebook?

Yes. However, sometimes scheduled dates are tentative, thereby subject to change. It is best if you review the link in your MyASU page regularly for important updates.

Course Scheduling

When can I register for classes for next semester?

Students are assigned a specific date and time during the University enrollment periods for fall and spring semesters, this is called your Enrollment Appointment. This means that your registration BEGINS at your assigned date and time. You can register for classes at that specific time or anytime thereafter throughout the registration period. You cannot register for classes before your assigned time. Enrollment for fall classes usually begins the previous March and enrollment for spring classes the previous October. Enrollment for summer sessions occurs during ‘open registration’.

What do I do if I have a hold on my account?

Click on the individual hold in your MyASU page to see what the steps are for removing the hold. Any eAdvisor, and Advising Engineering holds must be removed by your advisor by scheduling an appointment.

How many credits should I take each semester?

Credits, hours and units are used interchangeably with regard to your academic program. Students should enroll in 14-16 hours of coursework, each fall and spring semester, to complete their degrees in four years. Engineering undergraduate student, in good academic standing, may enroll in a maximum of 19 hours. Some exceptions apply. Your academic advisor will be able to assist you, when necessary.

Summer sessions credit load limit is 7 semester hours for each six-week session, nine semester hours for the eight-week session, and may not exceed a total of 14 semester hours of any combination of sessions.

I got an 'error message' when I was trying to register for my classes, what does this mean?

Ideally, students will be able to enroll into all of the courses that they have selected with the assistance of their advisor. However, various error messages will sometimes occur. These may include such messages as “prerequisites not met” and/or “advising hold” on your record. In these instances, you will want to contact your academic advisor for assistance. We recommend that you review the following links, before you begin registering for classes for the first or second time:

What does it mean when it says that classes are reserved?

Classes are often reserved for certain groups of students. To view who classes are reserved for you will need to click on the individual class that you are trying to add. After clicking on the class you will see a table listing which groups of students the classes are reserved for and how many seats are available for each group. If you are not included in the reserved group of students then you will need to find another section of the course to register for. Some classes that are reserved indicate when the remaining seats will become available in the notes of that particular class section. You can always call the individual departments to find out when the remaining reserved seats will open up if it is not listed. Contact your advisor if you have any questions.

Example: Math classes are generally reserved for the first few months of enrollment for certain students. As long as there are seats available for the reserve group RC Engineering then all engineering students will be able to enroll.

I want to enroll in a course at an Arizona Community College. How do I know if it’s equivalent to a required course in my program?

At the following website you can view the Course Equivalency Guide which will provide you with articulated courses that have been deemed equivalents to ASU’s courses: This site is designed for use by students transferring within Arizona’s public institutions of higher education—community colleges, tribal colleges, and state universities—and by the advisors and faculty who assist them.

FYI – You will not find the exact equivalent courses for MAT 265, 266 and 267 (the calculus for engineers series) at ASU. However, you will find the equivalent of MAT 270, 271, and 272 (generic calculus) at ASU, which will meet then same requirement when transferred to ASU.