Skip to Content
Report an accessibility problem
Engineering  |  School of Computing, Informatics, and Decision Systems Engineering

Override policy CEN, CPI, CSE, IEE, and SER Courses

All students

  • A Course Prerequisite Override form signed or email approved by an instructor does not guarantee a seat in the course. Each override request is subject to individual review and as such may or may not be approved. Seats are given as a priority to CIDSE students first.
  • We do not approve any section-full or time conflict overrides for courses.
  • Override requests require that you complete all requested information on the online form. We will accept a completed request with an attached email approval from the instructor as long as all required information has been addressed. Incomplete requests will not be processed.
  • CIDSE students will not be approved any pre-requisite override requests to gain entry to courses if you have not completed all stated course prerequisite requirements, unless you have been assigned the course to fulfill a graduate program deficiency.
  • Non-major and non-degree students may not take over 12 undergraduate upper division credit hours of coursework or more than 12 graduate level credits. It is the responsibility of the student to be aware of this policy. Please see the ASU Catalog for more information. Non-major and non-degree seeking students must meet minimum GPA requirements in order to take CSE, CPI, CEN, IEE, and SER courses. Undergraduate students must have at least a 2.5 GPA and graduate students must have at least a 3.0 GPA.

Undergraduate courses

All CIDSE Undergraduate Prerequisite Override Requests need to be submitted electronically.

*Students requesting overrides to engineering courses outside of CIDSE should work with their advisor for approval.

Students will then need to fill out the forms below and upload them to the electronic request. Email approval is permitted by instructor and will need to be uploaded along with the form. If you have taken the prerequisite course at ASU and are just not in the major, you can clearly indicate this on the form below and bypass the need for instructor approval. Email with any questions.

  • ASU major and non-degree seeking students are required to complete the CIDSE Undergraduate Course Prerequisite form for approval to access any CSE, CPI, IEE, or SER courses that are blocked from registration.
  • Completed forms should be submitted at
  • Overrides will be reviewed as they come in. Overrides may be issued right away or at different times during the semester depending on the needs of our CIDSE students in these courses. The latest an override will be issued is two weeks before the start of the semester.
  • Overrides will not be granted for CIDSE undergraduate students to bypass prerequisites of CIDSE major required classes.
  • Overrides will not be granted for students trying to get into upper division courses to get into our majors without the posted admission requirements.

Graduate courses

All graduate prerequisite override requests and requests for courses requiring department consent need to be submitted electronically. Students will need to fill out the forms below and upload them to the electronic request. Email approval from the instructor is required and will need to be uploaded along with the form. Email with any questions.

Non-CSE/CEN/IE/SER students:

  • Many of our CIDSE graduate courses will be open for registration to all Engineering students after the date listed in the course description. You do not need to complete an override form unless you have a course prerequisite that has not been met or the course is reserved for CIDSE students with no open release date. The form you will need to complete is the Graduate Prerequisiste Override Form.
    • Please be sure to attach your transcript and highlight the course or courses that show proof that you have the background knowledge to enroll in the course. For CSE courses, review the prerequisite list before submitting your override request. If you have work experience please explain in detail how the work has prepared you for the course.
    • Completed forms should be submitted at
    • Instructor approval is required before submitting the override request.
    • Please note: Approved requests for CSE and SER course overrides will be granted one week prior to the start of the semester. All course requests forms for Fall 2021 are due on August 1, 2021.
    • Submission and approval requests for CEN and IEE courses will be granted on an on-going basis.

You will receive an email notification after the override has been processed.

Software Engineering students:

  • An override request is not required for any CSE courses on the Approved CSE 500-level classes list.
  • If you are interested in taking a CSE course that is not on the list, then you will need to submit an override request. Consult the SER handbook regarding the number of CSE electives that are permitted.

Current CIDSE graduate students:

Course Permission Requests (580, 590, 595, 599, 784 (IE only), 790, 792,  795, 799)